Assistive app for spelling and writing difficulties
- Context and Phonetic Spell Checker
- Word Prediction and Auto-Completion
- Text-to-Speech with Word Highlighting
- Integrated English dictionary
- Dyslexia Optimized fonts
- Export notes to Email and Clipboard
Spell Better Help & Support
Email support now with any questions or feedback.
- Getting Started
- Dyslexia features
- Types of spelling mistakes
- How to use the Dictionary
- How to Upgrade
- Volume Purchase Program (VPP) for Schools
- About the developer
> Getting started with Spell Better
- Launch Spell Better and just start typing. Tap on a suggested completion or predicted word to accept it and send it to the editor.
- Tap-and-hold (long-press) on a suggested word to see it's definition.
- Tap the magnifying glass to run the powerful spell-checker.
- Accept corrections by tapping on the suggested words, the spell checker will continue.
- Tap "Learn" or "Ignore" for the relevant words.
- The spell checker is done when it stops highlighting new words.
- Access all settings by tapping the little "i" button, including text size, font, etc.
> Dyslexia features
Spell Better is one of the best iPad apps for dyslexia, and its word prediction and advanced spell checking features have been trained to spot and correct the types of errors that individuals with dyslexia and dysgraphia tend to make. Several examples in the video above come from sample text written by children or adults with dyslexia (courtesy of Dr. Jenny Pedler's PhD thesis). See the example spelling mistakes below to learn more.
Spell Better also contains two fonts that have been designed specifically for individuals with Dyslexia. The fonts are Open Dyslexic (opendyslexic.org) and Lexia Readable.
> Types of Spelling mistakes
In addition to common spelling mistakes, Spell Better will catch and correct the following complex errors:
- Phonetic spelling erorrs ("preshius" -> "precious", "peturs" -> "pictures")
- Real-word spelling errors ("peace" -> "piece")
- Word boundary errors ("verynice" -> "very nice")
- Letter reversal and transposal
- Skipped and repeated letters ("probley" -> "probably")
- Homophone substitutions
- Missing or substituted vowels ("Ths is rly amzng" -> "This is really amazing")
- Incorrectly conjugated irregular verbs ("throwed" -> "threw")
Spell Better has been built from the ground up to catch and correct complex orthographic errors. It does all of the above while paying attention to the context of the sentence. Spell Better will correct many of these as they are being typed, while others are corrected when the spell checker is tapped.
> How to use the Dictionary
The dictionary in Spell Better is brought up by a Tap-and-hold (long-press) on the predicted word. If you haven't already downloaded a dictionary, you may see the "No definition found" message. But don't worry, here are detailed steps to download and use a dictionary in Spell Better. The download is completely free and comes directly from Apple.
1. First, tap-and-hold on a predicted word. You'll hear the word pronounced and you'll see a pop-up come into view:
3. Tap on the "Manage" button:
4. Then tap on the cloud icon with the arrow on it, next to the English dictionary of your choice:
5. Wait for it to download. You can see the download progress indicator:
6. Once the download is complete, you'll see a little black cross next to the corresponding dictionary (this is just an indicator, don't tap it!). Go to the next step after you see this little black cross appear:
7. Then tap anywhere outside the pop-up to dismiss it. Don't worry, we'll be getting back to it in the next step. The pop-up should go away:
8. Finally, Tap-and-hold again on the predicted word, and you'll see the definition come up:
You have downloaded the dictionary, and you can look up the definition of words in Spell Better.
Spell Better offers high-quality text-to-speech. Once you've written something in the text box, you can tap on the speaker button to the right of the predicted words to hear your entire document read out in a measured, loud, and high-quality voice.
A tap-and-hold (long-press) on the speaker button will read out only the last sentence, instead of the entire document.
You can also select a section of your document (say, a paragraph) and tap on the speaker button to read aloud only the selected content instead of the entire document.
Spell Better will highlight the word that is being read aloud as it goes through the document.
Spell Better does not track usage, and does not send any data to an external server for any reason. There is no advertising within the app.
> How to Upgrade
The free version of Spell Better has certain constraints. You need to upgrade in order to export your documents from Spell Better and to create new notes and save older ones.
Purchasing the upgrade removes all constraints forever. The upgrade is a one-time purchase, and there are no recurring purchases. The upgrade price is $9.99 USD (£6.99, €8.99, $10.49 AUD, $13.99 NZD, or the corresponding value in your local currency). There are no other purchases within the app.
Once you've explored the app and are satisifed that you want to upgrade:
- Tap the "Upgrade Options" button on the top-right of Spell Better.
You'll see a pop-up view come up that shows some details including the price in your local currency.
- Then tap the "Upgrade Now" button.
- You'll be taken through the standard in-app purchase flow: it'll ask you to confirm the price and purchase and may ask you to enter your App Store credentials.
- After a few seconds the pop-up view will close on its own. And the keyboard will pop back up.
- The upgrade is complete. You'll see a "+" button on the top right which lets you create new notes. You'll also be able to export your writing immediately.
Tap or click here to email me now if you have any trouble with this process.
> Volume Purchase Program (VPP)
There is a special version of Spell Better that is compatible with Apple's Volume Purchase Program. It offers a discount on bulk purchases and does not contain any in-app purchases or other restrictions.
It is called Spell Better VPP and is otherwise identical to the regular version of Spell Better. You can see it on the App Store by clicking here.
If you are an educator and would like your school to purchase Spell Better for its iPads, send a request to your school's technology or purchasing specialist and mention Spell Better VPP (note the "VPP" suffix).
Spell Better VPP is now widely deployed in thousands of schools across the US, UK, Australia, and New Zealand.
> About the developer
Hi, my name is Navanit. I've been working on Spell Better for several years, beginning with research I conducted as a graduate student at Stanford University. It's the only piece of software I have on the App Store and I'm fully focused and committed to adding features to it over the long term. I am proud and happy to be using my skills to solve a worthwhile problem that directly improves the lives of thousands of students and adults worldwide. I'm always happy to hear from my customers, so do email me with any questions or feedback. I usually respond within the day if not in a couple of hours.
Email support now with any questions or feedback.